Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Curveball, swing and a miss, did not see that one coming

I don't want to disappoint my readers out there, but it seems, for the time being, my career with Coca-Cola is over. After a lengthy 21 day tenure, the beverage giant has decided to part ways with me.

In all seriousness, I was let go today. I had just finished for the day when my agency called and told me that due to low call intake in the recent months, CCA decided to cut 10 positions, one of them being mine. I'm not positive on all the details yet, but I will have a better explanation of the situation soon.

I have to admit, it was one of the most foreign feelings I've ever experienced. Never have I been told to leave a job. Fired...you mean really fired? Well they don't call it that here. I believe the slang term is sacked. Actually the PC term would be that my position "became redundant." The good news is that I did not get fired from my employment agency. I'm meeting with them later this week. They said they will continue to assist me in finding employment.

Of course it is disappointing. Some emotions I've felt today are sadness, shock, excitement that I may find some new and more exciting job, a bit of fear. And just as I was really getting the hang of my job and beginning to bond with the team. But I understand the business side of it. Australia is having just as much trouble as the US financially right now.

So what do you do when you get fired?

I'll tell ya what I did.

The first thing was to take the one hour train back home. I played some angry music on my Ipod, mostly Metallica the Black Album and some other random racket.

Then I went out to bingo and trivia night at the Gymea Pub with my roommates and won the first game of bingo. The prize was a very large tray of beef, chicken and lamb. My roommate also won a tray. Life is funny sometimes. Yep! I got canned, but I did win a tray of meat that can feed a family of five. How bad can it be?

I've kept my sense of humor in this obviously. But I don't want you to be confused with me not taking this seriously. As always, something good will happen out of this. I know for a fact that many people in my situation would go home and get depressed or angry or do something irrational. Most of you know by now that that's not me. I'm not even going to dwell on it. What's done is done. To use the most overused term of this decade, "It is what it is." (2nd most would be the annoying sports caster saying "You talk about...")

I'm going to keep searching for work and just stay positive. Good things happen when you stay positive. Wow...deep Ryan. But it's true.

In the meantime, enjoy some photos and quotes that make me smile when I think of the idea of being fired.

My childhood idol George Carlin once talked about getting his walking papers....

"Walking papers. You know, a guy gets fired. You say, “Geez, poor guy. Well, they give him his walking papers today.” Did you ever get any walking papers? Seriously. Believe me, in my life, I’ve got fired a lot of times. Never got any walking papers. Never got a pink slip, either. You know what I would get? A guy would come around to my desk and say “Get the @@@@ out of here.” You don’t need paper for that. "

Sometimes being fired can be your own fault...






Sometimes it's not your fault...(Schottenheimer went 14-2 before getting fired)


Sometimes you get rehired, then fired again... and again (Billy Martin: firingX8)


It can come in the form of a fax...McFly

or on television..

And sometimes, well...
I suppose on a lighter note, the World Baseball Classic will be taking place in a couple weeks and I believe it will be on the television here. I cannot wait to see some baseball. The cricket here just doesn't cut it.



Thanks for the support. Mom, don't worry about me too much. I really am doing fine.

Talk to ya soon, Ry

1 comment:

Judd said...

Not a bad consolation prize...winning the "meat tray" is a big deal here.