Thursday, May 14, 2009

Rough day for New England

Celtics...lose in game 6, Red Sox...lose in 12 innings, Bruins...lose in overtime of game 7. Not exactly the Hat Trick the city of Boston was looking for.

About a minute ago, I just watched the Hurricanes beat the Bruins in the NHL Playoffs. It was in overtime of game 7. The Canes are now headed to the Conference finals to take on the Penguins. But what a heartbreaking loss for the B's. I should be estatic, but I'm feeling a bit sad for the city of Boston and the Bruins right now. As someone who has been on the losing end of an overtime game, I just gotta say OUCH.

Kevin Smith, the Hollywood director, recently wrote a blog about his New Jersey Devils when they were matched up against the Hurricanes during the opening round of this year's playoffs...I edited the swears out for you...

"I can’t root against the Hurricanes because they’re the Hartford Whalers. What kind of black-hearted, hateful person could ever cheerfully root against the Whale? We’re talking about the (first) team that brought Gordie Howe out of retirement! This is a team of legends, with an old-time-hockey legacy. Paul Coffey, Dave Keon, Bobby Hull… even our own Shanny: all legends who swam with the Whale. I can’t bash on the Green and the Blue; they’re the Connecticut Yankees in King Stanley’s Court who inspired the immortal cinematic bon mot “Breakfasts come and go, Rene; but Hartford… the Whale? Hey, they only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime.”
For the complete blog....http://thenhlarena.com/index.php?showtopic=77374 (He actually edited out the swears too in a fun kind of way.)
So I guess if I were to write my paragraph similar to that, I would say that it's hard to root against the Boston Bruins. I grew up with Cam Neely, Ray Bourque, Andy Moog and countless others. Even with my loyalty to the Whale, I can't hate the Black and Yellow. Despite all the losing in the last 20 years, I've always hoped they make a Cup run. I just don't want to see them beat the Whalers, er Canes.

Also, something isn't quite right with me rooting for a non-Boston team. I love the Patriots, Celtics, and Red Sox. The stars should all line up, and I should root for the B's. But I don't. And that still feels strange to me. In the world of pro sports, I feel you're really only allowed to have one favorite. And as you know, I decided a long time ago who my favorite would be, whether they come from Hartford or Carolina. They say "you can't have your cake and eat it too," so I guess I'm sticking with the Canes.
Good luck Carolina in the Eastern Conference Semis. It is going to be a battle to beat Pittsburgh but you can do it. And for the Boston fans out there, try not to think about it too much. The Celtics still have game 7 to play, and the Red Sox have a long road ahead of them.

On to the next round. Don't you dare shave those playoff beards.

No comments: