Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008 year in review


Happy New Year!

Today at 4pm I watched on TV the ball drop in New York City. It is so strange that I celebrated the new year 16 hours before most of you!

I was hoping to do this post before I rang in the new year, but I ran out of time. 2008 was one of the biggest travel years of my life and I saw some pretty great things. So this is a litte review of where I've been. Seeing as 9 is my lucky number, I have a good feeling about this next year.

January

I rang in the new year in Boston, MA then headed back to Keene, NH for a week before flying out to Maquoketa, Iowa as a event coordinator for Up with People. I can't say I have any plans for a return to Iowa. It was the the harshest winter I can remember experiencing.

February

Watching the Super Bowl at my friend Bear's house in Waukesha, WI was a fun time. The outcome of the game of course still saddens me. It was a long three hour drive in the snow back to Iowa. After that I traveled to Des Moines to spend a week with the Cast A 2008.

March

My next city was Enid, Oklahoma. I drove from Iowa, through Missouri, and then onto Enid. This is another state that I may have visited for the last time, but you never know.

April

I was in Enid less than four weeks and was happy to leave OK and head down to Brenham Texas with the cast. There, I visited the Blue Bell ice cream factory and also was part of a private tour of NASA in Houston, TX.

May

In May, my next city was New Braunfels, Texas. It was directly inbetween Austin and San Antonio, so I was able to visit the Alamo, Sea World and Six Flags.

June

I had a break from Up with People in June and flew home to Keene. While there, I took a weekend trip up to Ottawa, Ontario Canada and visited a former Carnival Cruise friend. I visited Parliament while I was there and also saw a friend from Up with People 2000. After that, I flew back out to Denver for one more stint with Up with People.

One of my biggest influences, George Carlin, died on June 22. It was the first time I can remember where a celebrities' death had me sad for some time. Growing up, I had dozens of his CDs, books and movies. I was fortunate to see him in concert in Minneapolis in 2003. He will be missed.

"Flammable, inflammable, non-inflammable....Why are there three? Doesn't it seem to you like two words ought to be able to handle that idea? I mean the thing either flams or it doesn't flam."

-George Carlin

July

July had me going to Breckenridge, Colorado for my last set up with Up with People. It was the toughest set up I had done and my body and mind were officially ready to leave Up with People. Breckenridge is truly one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. Unlike Oklahoma and Iowa, I really look forward to returing.

August

I spent three more weeks in Denver after leaving Breck. It was a great time working for Up with People out of their warehouse. I then flew to see some Carroll College friends in Waukesha, WI. While there, I went down to Chicago to see my dad who happened to be there on business. I took in my first Cubs game and saw another old friend from Up with People 2000.
September

Back to Keene for what I believe was my longest stay at home since 2001. My job for the next three months was with g. housen in Brattelboro, Vermont. I must have drove a few thousand miles in that time, seeing New England's fall foliage at its finest. After 14 months with Up with People, returning to the beverage business felt so easy and comforting.

October

I visited Ottawa again and saw about 5 friends this time. Three of them work for Cirque du Soleil and they hooked me up with amazing tickets to Corteo.
November

I didn't go anywhere in November except to Durham, NH for my good friend Ken Macie's wedding.

December

My first month in Sydney had me visiting Sydney, Cains and Brisbane. I rang in the new year in Cronulla, a beach town about 40 minutes south of Sydney.

Thanks for taking time to read my blog. I'm having a lot of fun with it and realize that I've missed writing like I used to. Feel free to share this site with other people. Thanks for the comment too. I will check in again soon!

No comments: