Friday, April 24, 2009

ANZAC day

From wikipedia.com

Anzac Day is a national public holiday in Australia and New Zealand, and is commemorated by both countries on 25 April every year to honour members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in Turkey during World War I and also to commemorate the soldiers who fought in France and Belgium.

Today is ANZAC day here in Australia. I have heard a lot about it since arriving here. It is very much like our Memorial and Veterans Days in the USA, however, Australians get very excited for this day. It is one of the biggest party days of the year I understand, which makes me wonder if the efforts of the soldiers who fought for Australia's freedom are observed properly, through this alcoholic binge. I think they are, its just that Australians like a good drink no matter what the mood is. Celebration or mourning.

I purposely am working double shifts Friday and Saturday. I need the money, don't need the drink. I will probably head out after my second shift though maybe to see the York's for a bit.

Back to ANZAC day. They have a game here called Two-Up. Also from Wikipedia:

Two-up is a traditional Australian gambling game, involving a designated 'Spinner' throwing two coins into the air. Players gamble on whether the coins will fall with both heads up, both tails up, or with one coin a head, and one a tail (known as 'Odds'). It is traditionally played on ANZAC Day in pubs and clubs throughout Australia, in part to mark a shared experience with Diggers through the ages.

Sorry about my laziness to explain this day in my own words, but I am going to work soon. Not sure what a digger is, but make an educated guess.

There was a memorial service at dawn this morning also. I beleive the majority of Aussies wake up around 5am to attend this service. I did not attend.

So that's a very brief history on ANZAC day. I will write a bit more after it to give you the feel of what it's like even though I will be working most of today.

I think the world often forgets that countries like Australia have played a part in many of the wars around the world. It is great to be here and see them celebrate their heroes. It reminds me of my grandpa, who fought in World War II and Korea. I will be thinking of him today.

No comments: