Sunday, April 26, 2009

Work, 24, relationships, life and Playoffs?


Just finished a long weekend of work. Double shift on Saturday and Sunday My feet hurt. But I have the next two days off and plan to recover a bit. Of course tomorrow night is the playoffs for our inline hockey leauge. Only four teams, but still I am pretty psyched for it. I'm not sure where we stand. I think we ended up in last, but haven't had a full team in weeks. I think we'll be tough to beat.
The NHL playoffs are also going strong. I am not seeing any games, but I am following and watching the highlights online. Carolina is down 3-2. They are still my team. Also Boston I am rooting for. Go B's! Also excuse the spelling of Playoffs! in the picture above. I couldnt find a better pic of Jim Mora saying "Playoffs!?"

I've written more posts in April than in any other month since Arriving in Oz. I'm not sure where the inspiration has come from, but I hope that it continues. The fact that I've discovered writing again after a four year hiatus thrills me. I see I have two new followers that I've never met. Thanks for dropping by and reading. Also sometimes when I add pictures to the blog, for some reason, I am unable to separate some paragraphs. The formatting won't let me. So if there are any English majors out there who are frustrated by my inability so separate certain paragraphs, I have an excuse.

As I am writing this, I am watching 24. It is a new episode here, but unfortunately since it has started, I have missed two episodes. So I guess for me it is 22. The great thing about these shows is at the beginning, they summarize what happened last week. So really it is okay. And also, LOST is my #1 show here. As long as I still have LOST, I'm a happy guy. Also 24 is not getting old, but it has been going on since 2001, and really...I get the idea, Jack is having a bad day...again.

I was talking to a friend earlier this week who just had a break up. He was feeling pretty sad about it. Coming from someone who has been through multiple, I knew how he felt. Reminds me of a dialogue from the movie Swingers. Mike is struggling to get over an ex, and Rob is there to explain how he will eventually get over her...

Mike: Okay, so what if I don't want to give up on her?
Rob: You don't call.
Mike: But you said I don't call if I wanted to give up on her.
Rob: Right.
Mike: So I don't call either way?
Rob: Right.
Mike: So what's the difference?
Rob: There is no difference right now. See, Mike, the only difference between giving up and not giving up is if you take her back when she wants to come back. But you can't do anything to make her want to come back. In fact, you can only do stuff to make her not want to come back.
Mike: So the only difference is if I forget about her or just pretend to forget about her?
Rob: Right.
Mike: Well that sucks.
Rob: Yeah, it sucks.
Mike: So it's just like a retroactive decision, then? I mean I could, like, forget about her and then when she comes back make like I just pretended to forget about her?
Rob: Right. Although probably more likely the opposite.
Mike: What do you mean?
Rob: I mean at first you're going to pretend to forget about her, you'll not call her, I don't know, whatever... but then eventually, you really will forget about her.
Mike: Well what if she comes back first?
Rob: Mmmm... see, that's the thing, is somehow they know not to come back until you really forget.
Mike: There's the rub.
Rob: There's the rub.

Relationships are a funny, and frustrating thing. I was thinking today that they may be more difficult than playing golf or baseball or playing a piano. When you hear about baseball, experts say if you hit .300 for a career, you are in the hall of fame. Well with relationships, I guess technically, I, along with many others... am batting .000....not a stellar average...yet I still feel like coming to the plate again and again.
Sometimes I think love is like asking a friend to punch you really hard in the arm and once the pain goes away, you ask him to do it again. I'm just kidding. I think experiencing the tough times is neccessary in order to figure out what the heck it is we want out of this life.
I want to share one one more movie quote I found today from the 1989 film Parenthood. It had me smiling.....

[Gil (Steve Martin) has been complaining about his complicated life; Grandma wanders into the room]
Grandma: You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster.
Gil: Oh?
Grandma: Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride!
Gil: What a great story.
Grandma: I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.

Man, that almost has me emotional. Life does get scary. There are sad times. Some days I just would rather spend the day in bed. But when those good moments come around, I am grateful to be here for them. Sometimes I wish I could share some of those moments with more of you.
But hey, I could go on all day with movie quotes that make me smile and laugh, but I'll save some of the good ones for another time. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Ellie said...

Haha -- this is awesome! Do you watch Kath and Kim too? Or is the extent of your TV watching 24?